Ruminations of a Canine Cosmetologist ~ Personal insights and experiences in the dog biz.

Brought to you by Shampoodles Grooming Studio.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Intergroom 2009

So this is a first... I went to a grooming convention and didn't attend any seminars!  *gasp*  I know, shocking, esp. with all the pushing I do for continuing education.  However, I certainly can't say I didn't learn anything!  Grooming competitions in and of themselves are a learning experience, particularly when contestants get critiques from the judges.  You can also pick up little tidbits just walking around the trade show.  Seminars are of course best, but sometimes you truly don't have time for both competing and classes in the same day.  (I'll make up for that at the next convention!)
Apparently I've gone into dog show mode - traveling hundreds of miles just for a scrap of ribbon. LOL  I had hoped to take the opportunity of being back at Intergroom to certify in another group, but unfortunately couldn't find a dog in time.  (Happily, I'm told NDGAA will likely return to RI again this fall, so I may get my chance yet!)  Still, I had that free contest entry from last year's win, so just for fun I took my friend's Standard Poodle. 
We headed south Friday morning for a two night stay, reaching NJ in time to register and do a bit of shopping.  Saturday was grooming day, thankfully an afternoon class, so I had time to relax and eat in the morning before prepping my dog, then competing.  I even had time to pick up a couple more things at the trade show before and after!  I swear the shopping deals alone almost make the trip worthwhile... almost. ;-) 
Everyone probably knows by now that NJ is not my favorite place.  I swore I wouldn't go back for a while after last year, but you know me - got a free ticket (yet again!) so just had to go. LOL  At least this time the trip went smoother, only a couple minor traffic snags, but nothing too stressful.  Even the new hotel was excellent.  I honestly think that was the cleanest room I've ever been in!  Impressive!  I'm actually kinda bummed that they're moving the show (What's up with that?!  After all these years!?) - in 2010 Intergroom will be in northern NJ, just a few miles outside NY City, if I'm reading the map right.  It's nice that it'll be closer to me now (and less travel into NJ, hehe) but too bad they aren't staying with that great hotel.  Hopefully the next one is also clean & comfortable.  But I don't plan on finding out for a few more years... seriously this time. ;-)
The grooming competition - I'm still amazed at the size of the Poodle class.  I'm told there were over 30 groomers in my division alone!  Obviously I had no shot at placing; maybe at a smaller show, but there were some fabulous stylists in that huge crowd.  I didn't make it easy for myself either - my Poodle had four months of growth and of all things was groomed in a modified show trim.  [The HCC (Historically Correct Continental) is a shorter version of what you see in AKC shows, and is closer to what Poodles traditionally wore as working hunting dogs.]  Chaz is a retired show dog, UKC CH, AKC pointed (hey, they told me to get a better dog than last year's rescue Mini! haha) with a coat to die for, so while I won't likely be getting any "points for difficulty" with this boy, it does make my job a lot easier and opens up endless styling opportunities.  (I'll actually be getting creative next, with an original style of my own!) 
Anyway, I'm not entirely solid on the Continental pattern, and as always tend to be a bit slow, so I was ecstatic to do as well as I did.  He actually turned out fairly presentable, and the bracelets were some of the best I've ever done!  I got some wonderful compliments from the judges, so that made me feel good.  Of course the groom was far from perfect, so they also pointed out the snafus.  There were a bunch of little things, like slightly crooked hip poms that weren't round enough (but not terrible considering I had to reset them from scratch!), minor uneven spots here and there, and a somewhat "mushroomy" topknot that even I wasn't happy with.  But overall, good enough to send home without touchups for now.  I tracked down two out of three of the judges for critiques, and the pointers I got will be very helpful come summer when I do a "real" show groom, taking my friend's new show Standard from Puppy coat to adult Continental.  Between the competition/critiques, and Chaz winning BOV twice after I groomed him last year (and even messed up once!) I'm feeling more confident in my show grooming ability.  Can't compare to the real pros, but I'll get there eventually. :-)

Now I'm off to another dog show... I seem to have one every weekend lately!  And I don't even have a dog (yet)!  Scary to think what next year's schedule will be like when I'm showing my own (although that will only bit a little UKC and performance)!  Unfortunately I do have to work Saturdays once in a while too.  LOL 
Next up is a hard-to-come-by UKC weekend tomorrow & Sunday, and then onto the AKC shows...  York County next week, which I'll stop in to watch on Sunday...  After that is a fun match on Mother's Day which I'll actually be judging at!  Should be interesting.  Will have to do a quick brush up on my breed standards...  Then there is a DiscDog trial near East Hartford over Memorial Day weekend which we're planning to make a family outing of... Plus the fundraiser for American Poodles at Work on Memorial Day, which I believe I may be teaching a mini grooming workshop at...  Who knows what else is going on this spring - I can't keep up!  I know one of these weeks I need to find time to get back to studying for my final ISCC tests!  Along with a dozen other things on my to-do list! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment